Wednesday, April 22, 2009

To sum up my day simply, I was on tenterhooks from morning till afternoon. What with the waiting for DHSCO to go on stage, worrying about getting to SMU in time (I left SCH at 9.55am and got there at 10.05am, thank God for the cab driver), feeling afraid and uneasy waiting for the interview (thank God for Val's reminder - go in faith), going in realising that was only the first part of the interview so the nerves returned as we waited for the second part again, fretting that I'd not catch the morning results in time, and the moment of truth.


Let's start with the interview, which I thought would last for half an hour at most. But my spirits were dampened when the guy said, "I will be facilitating the first hour of your interview." Which required us to look at posters, read an article (which due to my zombified state, sleeping only 3 hours the night before, and concern about the SYF, I drifted off), answer some questions on paper and watch a video. The second hour was the actual interview. So the interviewers showed us some slides (6 of us) and before I even warmed the seat they said, "Alright, Ruth, you may start first." Thankfully the "HUH" I was about to exclaim was caught in my throat. Yeah, so began the interview which was, really interesting.


"How many words are there in the Straits Times newspaper on a typical Monday?" You have 3 minutes to write down your assumption, derive a model, come up with steps and give your answer. After which you'll share.


That, was the bomb. The interview on the whole was as I said, interesting. (Shan't elaborate otherwise it'll fill up a page on the Straits Times.) But I doubt I'm gonna make it, simply cos 1. I totally didn't make sense, and 2. I totally didn't make sense. Yeah, you get it. Really thank God for guiding me through this. Cos I absolutely am not able to do such a thing, be it speaking what I'm thinking, giving wise opinions on an article, general knowledge, etc. Thank God for Val's encouraging words that calmed me a little, for everyone's well wishes (special mention to Diane for msging me from Australia!) and of course, thank God for a fantastic learning experience! And I charged down to SCH after that.


Yay for I made it back in time but my heart aches for my two cab rides today. Oh well, I'm not cabbing for the next 6 months. Can't deny I was nervous while waiting for the results. I watched their performance, thought it was great, would have expected an Honours but situations have taught me never to be complacent and take things for granted. Was about to suffer from a 7th bout of heart attack when finally it came.


"Orchestra No. 40
Dunman High School
Gold with Honours"


My response? "WOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!!!!!" And credit me for not crying, thank you. Well that's just a title that'll fade 2 years later. But what goes beyond is the pride from seeing the juniors mature. Responsibility, skills, stage presence, it's always an awesome at the same time indescribable delight. No one was ever born to fly but we always try, and we never stop learning, we never stop growing. Much more to go but it'll all be worth it in the end.


I could type a 2000-word essay on SYF on the whole but I shan't do that. That'll fill up another page on the Straits Times and work better than sleeping pill. So for now, let's conclude with........... THREE CHEERS FOR DHSCO!!!!!!!


Thank God for one remarkable (to)day!

No comments: