Friday, January 23, 2009

I went on my very own Amazing Race: Kallang Bahru, Boon Keng, Bendemeer today! I was supposed to go down to this printing shop to print the posters and tickets for the DHSCO concert, and the address given is 996 Bendemeer Road, Bendemeer JTC. I googled it, found a route that supposedly had the minimum walking journey (totally not the case), and set off happily this morning. Throughout the two bus journeys, I kept my eye intently on the road signs and names of the bus stops, checking them against a picture of the route information in my phone. When I finally arrived at my stop, I alighted very smugly cos I felt so pleased with myself for not getting lost! But that smugness was gone in a few seconds when I realised that I was surrounded by many, many buildings. It was then, "Oh no, where do I go from here?". I had absolutely no clue which direction to go, there were far too many buildings. And I was smart enough not to look up where the building was roughly, but only checked for the route. Heh. Thank God for a guy who gave me a slight inkling on which direction to go.



The stop I alighted was actually at Kallang Bahru (so much for minimum walking distance), so with the guy's rough guide, I walked all the way till I saw Bendemeer Rd. And it was back to cluelessness again, cos once again there were stretches of buildings in all four directions. After crossing a few roads, asking a number of people for directions to little avail, and walking around aimlessly, I felt extremely lost, until I saw a building with "JTC" on it and it was all the way back at Kallang Bahru where I came from. Recalling that the address had "JTC" as well and being someone with as much common sense as direction sense (not much), I walked back feeling happier, thinking that I'd found the place. I obviously hadn't, and that took me a tour of the entire first and second storeys to find out. I exited the building and saw this printed on it, "16 Kallang Bahru". Brilliant.


At that point I felt dejected, lost, thirsty, hungry and tired. I badly wanted to take a cab but decided to perservere, the building could actually be nearby and now that I'm perpetually broke, I ought to save money. Wow, I'm becoming more sensible by the day. Thank God for a security guard who set me off on the right track finally! Thank God for all the people who gave me directions, especially this kindly, smiley old man who gave rather clear instructions and was so nice as to wish me shen ti jian kang and some other chinese idioms haha! So cute! Yeah, after an hour of circling, crossing roads, walking back and forth aimlessly, feeling lost and helpless... The most welcoming sight of the day!
Which meant that... 996 is just ROUND THE CORNER!
At long last... The final destination!

Was simply delighted beyond words! Thank God, thank God, thank God!

Passed them the soft copy of the stuff, had a brief discussion, then scooted off to meet Lam Lee and Yuqian at City Hall, where it was more walking in search of a present for Yuqian's sister. But I was extremely happy for the rest of the day, perhaps the reason behind my more-numerous-than-usual nonsensical comments. Yeah, yeah, we're all pacing and matching one another okay HAHA. Not to mention my two seconds of embarrassment on the train when I tried to imitate a Domokun pose and almost flew. Woops. Oh, met James (NO MORE HAIR lol) and Ms Wong at City Hall!

Hah. I think I wailed and whined about tuition to like, 10 people yesterday. Thanks everyone for your ears and encouragement and humour, was feeling totally annoyed. 8 more lessons to go, I wonder if I can actually complete it. Argh!! I need wisdom, I need understanding.

Sigh. Played The Nomad's Song just now and I felt utterly out of breath. I always wonder, how did I manage to get such fantastic marks for my exam three years back. There's practice tomorrow, and I haven't practised my... Ah I should have told Zheng Laoshi not to trust me with such a technical part, after all I feel that my skills have dropped many notches these past three years hehe. I wanna request for a change of parts! Alright, I seriously should stop moaning and groaning and go PRACTISE.

I'm so tired, broke, aimless and in debt. But otherwise, I'm pretty happy! Hahahahaha :D

No comments: