Wednesday, March 30, 2011

6 Sessions in Retrospect

We concluded our support group sessions yesterday. Time flies, it's been 6 weeks. I daresay I've gained a fair bit of insight from these sessions. Perhaps some people do not see the point of the sessions, but to me, each session was extremely meaningful. I'm blessed to have awesome facilitators, and more than awesome groupmates.

I'm surprised by how ready I was to share. This could be attributed to the relaxed, comfortable atmosphere we had. Another reason could be that I didn't know them that well. Yes, it makes more sense to be more holed up with people whom we're unfamiliar with. But for me, it happens to be the other way round. Maybe because we're not that close, they'll probably forget what I say in time to come and it won't matter in the end. But you know, they actually called me the wise one with lots of profound food for thought, the supplier of the "Quotes of the Day". Hahaha. That's pretty cool, 'cos I do hold a secret belief that people will quote me in their books and essays one day LOL. Right... Thank God for His words of wisdom!

As we rounded up our sessions yesterday, someone told me that she really admired something about me. I was taken aback. Though sometimes I do like that trait in me, other times it's really my downfall in life. Anyhow, I thought we had a pretty sweet ending to our sessions. I'm gonna miss the little gatherings, them calling me "Orange", and all the laughter we shared.

Thank God for the 6 sessions. 21 years of my life were put into perspective, not to mention having the privilege to listen to others' life stories, with the last two sessions discussing each of our greatest strengths, weaknesses, failures, and successes. This, I haven't given thought to before, so it was hugely interesting. Well, I guess I learnt a little more about myself in the process... At least, it made me reflect a lot.

And the main takeaway I have from the 6 sessions is that who we are today is largely made up of what we went through yesterday. Some of us have been through difficult times, crushing moments, and we thought we could never come through, but we did and are all here today. It's a reminder that everything happens for a reason. For His reason. There's gonna be more to come in the future, but what can we not go through? 'Cos at the end of the day, there is Hope.

2 comments:

-Poundcake- said...

WOW!~ So much insight. I kinda liked mine too, contrary to popular beliefs.

So what about you did the person admire you for? :)

Ruth || said...

Yay! That's good that's good. :D

She said she admires my very relaxed, "there's more to life than tests and exams" attitude hahaha! Funneh. Love my group!