Saturday, July 17, 2010

The week was a dramatic one. Part 2 of practicum was great. That aside, all my activities seemed to collide together in a week. It was kind of a mad rush throughout, settling matters and going places. Tiring, but... Fulfilling, in a sense.

The week in school was a wonderful experience for me. It wasn't fun like last week, but I've definitely seen and learnt a lot more. To me, it was "fun" in a different manner. Last week was honeymoon, this week was reality. The real deal, the kind of environment and people that will be a major part of my life for years and years to come. It was good that I could have an exposure. Perhaps I enjoyed it as I was merely dealing with everything from a spectator's point of view. I probably wouldn't have found it much fun if I were the one having to handle all of that. But it was indeed an eye-opener for me.

I could say that I've been from elite environments practically all my life. From primary school to JC, coming from a family of high achievers... Having seen all that, it was a culture shock. But I realised, that's where the realness of life comes in. It's high time for me to step out of my comfort zone and really take a look at what's out there. Cos I'm not gonna be sheltered all my life. I can shy away from it, or I can walk out and attempt to do something. It's not gonna be easy, especially after I'd seen my limitations. But it will be exciting. When God sees you to it, He will see you through it. I'll keep learning, I'll keep trying.

Of course there were the funny moments too. How I'd laugh so hard during class till I tear-ed, yet had to try so hard to suppress my laughter to maintain my professional image (a few students noticed though), how a class said, "Thank you Ms Desk!" at the end of a lesson in perfect harmony thus amusing me to no end, how an English class almost became a Music lesson, how we'd have so many hours to kill in the staffroom and the 3 of us would be doing any random possible thing while everyone else was busy marking or preparing lesson plans (imagine someone watching videos and another knitting on a table so near the door that everyone walks past).

And how could I forget, the day when the school was so understaffed due to teachers leaving for Oral examinations, they actually had to ask an ignorant Year 1 aka me to take a class for CME. It was a disaster through and through. Thank God Premani was with me! Though she decided to go out of the class to scold a few students, leaving me trying to handle the students. It was an ultimate phail, no one listened to me at all. It was fun talking to them in groups though. And thank God they did what they were supposed to do and handed it in. That was what mattered, so I didn't really care that they were making so much noise and walking all around. Heh. Oh, and something so hilarious happened from this, it led the other trainees to conclude that I might have camouflaged into a student (somehow) and the students probably thought that I was one of their friends. LOL!!!! But anyway, lesson learnt - never enter a class smiling.

I miss the few days spent there. Though I'll be back again next year, it's gonna be so different. Ruth reminded me that I'm gonna be alone for 5 weeks! It should have occurred to me, seeing that I was the only Year 1 posted there this year, I'll naturally be the only Year 2 next year. Please post some Year 3s there! Oh well, I'll think about that next year. I just thank God for a great week, for all that I've seen and learnt. Thank God for the SCM, for the CTs, for the trainees, for every single staffroom and classroom moment. Thank God for the experience! :)

As 1T1 would say it, "Awesome!"

No comments: